Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Goofin' Around



We are back home now after a long weekend in Orlando, Florida.  Justin and I ran the Walt Disney World Goofy Challenge - a 1/2 marathon on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday.  It was so much fun!  

I trained for this more than I had trained for the Des Moines marathon, so I ended up about 15 minutes faster than my Des Moines marathon time.  My time was 5:21 for the full marathon.  My only goal really was not to stop and walk and I did it!  I actually felt pretty good.  No leg cramps, no upset stomach!  I think I learned a lot about what to do and what not to do from my first marathon.  I was also grateful to our friend who is a hydration expert - he helped me with some information on proper hydration because I think I got myself over-hydrated during the Des Moines marathon. 

Both races were absolutely amazing.  Disney characters and spectators lined the streets.  We got to run through Epcot Center, the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios.  

Before the marathon, at the expo, we got to see a presentation by Team Hoyt - the father who has pushed his son in 27+ marathons and hundreds of other running events and Iron Man races.  They were such an inspiration and I was bawling just listening to them speak.

Most of all, I learned that it is truly amazing what the human body is really capable of when you put your mind to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment